Parenting: Kids, careers and staying hungry
November 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Yes, I decided to use a photograph of Dee Snyder in full Twisted Sister garb for this Parenting Blog. Allow me to explain.
If only it were as easy as it seemed in their hit video "We're Not Going to Take It."
A father criticizes his son up and down for the condition of his room, his clothes, and his music (that's not the easy part).
At the end of the tirade, the father asks: "What are you going to do with your life?"
The child replies, as a matter of fact: "I wanna rock."
Yes, if it were only that easy.
My son exhibited interest in a particular career recently (he is 10 years old) and so I thought it would be a good time to offer him my philosophy on jobs. It's the same advice I give to anyone, young or old, who asks me about getting a job in the broadcast news industry.
Simply put, my advice is that you should pursue a career in something you enjoy doing (which usually means you are good at it too) and worry about what type of paycheck you might receive later.
This comes with a caveat, however. The career choice needs to be within reason, within the realm of possibilities. If it isn't, a back-up plan is a must. Mine was to join the military if I didn't find a job in broadcasting.
And finally, I like to tell people that attaining a career goal involves 99-percent perspiration, and 1-percent inspiration. Think about it. Doesn't everything?
If you are looking for more advice on how to steer your children towards a career, and when you should even bring the issue up, check out this parenting blog: http://careerplanning.about.com/od/adviceforkidsandteens/a/children.htm
Remember, stay hungry!
matt o'donnell parenting reports, parenting, matt o'donnell
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted local schools 25 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!