'Curious George' gets a new leash on life
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Curious George, a dog abandoned in Delaware County back in October, is heading home in time for the holidays.
The pup underwent boot camp with 10 days of basic training at Perfect Pooch in King of Prussia.
After making huge strides in health, the dog is now headed to a new and nurturing home.
SPCA officials say he's happy to be around others and that he's come a long way since he was found wandering the streets, malnourished and starved.
When George was turned over to the SPCA, he weighed just 35 pounds. Now he's up to 63 pounds and still packing it on.
For the past 10 days, Sarah Ross has been his personal trainer.
"You would think maybe he would have insecurities and be fearful but he's not. He's a very curious George," said Ross.
Trainers say, the pooch learned his lessons well and is now able to go home with his new family.
"We're ready to take him home and give him the forever home he deserves," said Aimee Tysarczyk.
Aimee and Eric Tysarczyk were among hundreds who reached out to help Curious George after his story became public.
Nearly 15 families applied to adopt the dog but the Tysarczyks believe it was fate.
"I always said that if we ever adopted a male dog, I wanted to name him George. We saw the story and I knew this was the dog for us," said Aimee.
The couple got some pointers from the trainers, and they'll be coming back for more training sessions in the weeks ahead.
It's quite a turnaround for a dog that came within days of starving to death.
The new owners say they are grateful to the SPCA for nursing him back to health.
"We just can't wait to have him home for the holidays and have him home for good. We look forward to many years with George," said Aimee.
pennsylvania, spca, animal abuse, animals, local/state, david henry
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police-involved shooting in Southwest Philadelphia
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 7 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
12 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos