'Curious George' gets a new leash on life
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Curious George, a dog abandoned in Delaware County back in October, is heading home in time for the holidays.
The pup underwent boot camp with 10 days of basic training at Perfect Pooch in King of Prussia.
After making huge strides in health, the dog is now headed to a new and nurturing home.
SPCA officials say he's happy to be around others and that he's come a long way since he was found wandering the streets, malnourished and starved.
When George was turned over to the SPCA, he weighed just 35 pounds. Now he's up to 63 pounds and still packing it on.
For the past 10 days, Sarah Ross has been his personal trainer.
"You would think maybe he would have insecurities and be fearful but he's not. He's a very curious George," said Ross.
Trainers say, the pooch learned his lessons well and is now able to go home with his new family.
"We're ready to take him home and give him the forever home he deserves," said Aimee Tysarczyk.
Aimee and Eric Tysarczyk were among hundreds who reached out to help Curious George after his story became public.
Nearly 15 families applied to adopt the dog but the Tysarczyks believe it was fate.
"I always said that if we ever adopted a male dog, I wanted to name him George. We saw the story and I knew this was the dog for us," said Aimee.
The couple got some pointers from the trainers, and they'll be coming back for more training sessions in the weeks ahead.
It's quite a turnaround for a dog that came within days of starving to death.
The new owners say they are grateful to the SPCA for nursing him back to health.
"We just can't wait to have him home for the holidays and have him home for good. We look forward to many years with George," said Aimee.
pennsylvania, spca, animal abuse, animals, local/state, david henry
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list