Pizza delivery man gunned down in SW Philadelphia
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - January 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police are looking for the person who gunned down a pizza deliveryman and left him to die.
The shooting happened around 10:00 p.m. Tuesday in Southwest Philadelphia.
29-year-old Ronald Anderson of Chester, Pa. was shot twice - once in the leg and once in the back - while making a delivery in the 2500 block of South Massey Street.
"I was in bed and I heard, like three gunshots," said witness Naimah Muhammad. "I was like 'Oh my God.'"
Police say Anderson, who worked for Hot Spot Pizza at South 70th and Elmwood streets, was shot in back and the leg.
He was rushed to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died.
Police believe whoever shot Anderson placed the order with the intention of robbing him. The killer got away with only a few dollars.
Hot Spot Pizza, which is right around the corner from the murder scene, was closed on Wednesday.
However, at Anderson's former place of employment, Pete's Pizza, Anderson was remembered as a loving father and husband who did his best to make ends meet and raise his family in Chester.
"He was a gentle giant, a good man, never complained about anything," said Leah Brooks of Pete's Pizza. "Anything we asked he always did for us."
Anyone who might have seen or heard anything suspicious is urged to call Philadelphia Police.
homicide, shooting, southwest philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos