Police: Man shoots teens in self-defense, 1 dead
CUMRU TWP., Pa. - January 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say one teen is dead and another is hospitalized after being shot by a man, apparently in self-defense.
The incident happened just before 11:00 a.m. Wednesday along the Thun Trail in Cumru Township, Berks County.
Officials say three teens attempted to rob a 65-year-old man who was riding his bike along the trail.
The teens knocked the man off his bike and two of them started attacking the man.
The man then pulled a gun and shot two of the teens, one fatally.
The wounded teen is in the hospital with apparent non-life-threatening injuries.
The third teen has been committed to the Youth Detention Center.
After questioning, police released the 65-year-old man from custody.
Cumru police continue to investigate.
pennsylvania, berks county, shooting, robbery, crime
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 4 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 9 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 37 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act