Apparent suicide on Temple University's campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and Temple University police are investigating a shooting that occurred on the campus Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. along the 1900 block of Liacouras Walk.
Police say a 25-year-old male suffered a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Temple officials say the man is not a current temple student, but may have been enrolled at a prior time. Temple is working with Philadelphia police to make proper notification to next of kin.
Authorities say the apparent suicide took place in front of a dozen of other students.
Many Temple students received news of the shooting from the university via text message.
At 7:13 p.m. Temple University tweeted, "Liacouras Walk scene is safe. No danger to university community. Police activity will continue. Avoid the area."
philadelphia, pennsylvania, temple, suicide, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 41 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 28 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
33 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
28 min ago