Apparent suicide on Temple University's campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and Temple University police are investigating a shooting that occurred on the campus Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. along the 1900 block of Liacouras Walk.
Police say a 25-year-old male suffered a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Temple officials say the man is not a current temple student, but may have been enrolled at a prior time. Temple is working with Philadelphia police to make proper notification to next of kin.
Authorities say the apparent suicide took place in front of a dozen of other students.
Many Temple students received news of the shooting from the university via text message.
At 7:13 p.m. Temple University tweeted, "Liacouras Walk scene is safe. No danger to university community. Police activity will continue. Avoid the area."
philadelphia, pennsylvania, temple, suicide, local/state
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 24 min ago
- A Nice Stretch 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
24 min ago