Police respond to assault at Phila.charter school
TIOGA-NICETOWN - March 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and medics were called out to Simon Gratz Mastery Charter School on Wednesday morning for an assault.
It was around 8:20 a.m. when officers arrived at the school on West Hunting Park Avenue in the Tioga-Nicetown section.
The CEO of Mastery, Scott Gordon, explained that two students involved were enrolled in the Mastery Alternative Pupil Support program for severely emotionally disturbed youth.
School officials say a 17-year-old boy initiated a fight with a girl in the hallway right outside a classroom. Gordon says the program director immediately stepped in.
"The student who initiated was, per our protocol, arrested. A student who was elbowed in stomach, per our protocol - we contacted an ambulance to make sure they were okay," said Gordon.
The program director fell in the course of breaking up the fight but did not require medical attention. The program operates out of the Simon Gratz High School building but is separate from Gratz High School, though both are run by Mastery.
Chopper 6 HD was overhead as police and medics went into the building. One person could be seen being brought to an ambulance in a wheelchair.
Parents and other relatives were outside the school trying to figure out what was going on.
"I'm thinking there's something going on at the school where my nieces and nephews attend, so I ran up here," said Shantay Cooper.
While the boy who initiated the fight was turned over to police, it is unclear if he will face any charges.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, school, assault, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 10 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 37 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 31 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 29 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 49 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
31 min ago