Arrest in deadly Berks County hit-and-run
READING, Pa. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police announced an arrest in the hit-and-run crash that killed a 3-year-old girl in Berks County.
Authorities say 18-year-old Justin Taylor of South Heidelberg Township was behind the wheel of this red pickup truck, when he ran over little JaLexy Bobet Thursday night.Reading Police Officers escorted the suspected driver from the police station Friday night.
Meanwhile Ja'Lexy's family is still trying to cope with the loss. The young girl was struck at the intersection of 10th and Cotton streets. "He just left her there like she's trash. She was a beautiful girl," said Nancy Roman, the victim's aunt.
Around 7:00 p.m., neighbors looked on as the young victim was loaded onto an ambulance and were shocked that the driver was nowhere to be found.
Surveillance cameras caught the fleeing vehicle, and eventually Taylor contacted police to turn himself in. Officers say it was not his truck, and he did not have a driver's license.
"See that's why I tell you, it's very important - wait for mom and don't cross," said Nancy.
It's a lesson learned by many of the children in the Reading neighborhood where the young girl lived.
The community is hoping the tragedy will also stop drivers from carelessly speeding through the streets.
pennsylvania, reading, berks county, hit and run, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1