Phila. police officer arrested in drug sting ID'd
PHILADELPHIA - June 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia police officer has been arrested after authorities conducted a drug sting.
23-year-old Philadelphia Police Officer Jonathan Garcia was arrested last night and indicted in federal court today.
He is charged with four counts of distribution of heroin and two counts of carrying a firearm during a drug transaction.
This was a joint investigation between the FBI and Philadelphia Police Department Internal Affairs over the last few months.
Investigators are looking into the possibility that others were involved.
According to an affidavit attached to the arrest warrant, Garcia sold bundles of heroin to a source cooperating with the FBI. The source was posing as a drug buyer.
The affidavit details several incidents between May 2012 and June 5, 2012 where Garcia sold the FBI source bundles of heroin.
Garcia was in uniform when he sold heroin to the source on May 16, 2012 and June 5, 2012, according to the affidavit.
If convicted of all charges, Garcia faces a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years imprisonment.
Garcia will be suspended for 30 days with intent to dismiss.
Garcia, an officer in the 17th district, would have been on the force for four years in August.
philadelphia, police, drugs, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ