Urban garden pops up in Rittenhouse Square
RITTENHOUSE SQUARE - June 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Something has "popped up" in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square, and it has residents buzzing - it's the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society's, "Pop-Up garden!"
The garden located at 19th and Walnut streets has transformed a former vacant lot, in the heart of Rittenhouse Square, into a place of beauty.
"Especially in urban areas like Philadelphia that have significant amount of land, some of it vacant. Urban gardening and urban farming is really coming back," said Mayor Michael Nutter.
The garden covers about one third of an acre and there are raised beds, brimming with a variety of annuals, perrinials, vegetables and herbs
The project is sponsored by Chipotle and highlighted by a communal table. It emphasizes the need for healthy food for all residents with the message: " bring everyone to the table."
Ayesha Fraser came to the grand opening on her lunchbreak.
"My mother raised me to appreciate gardening and I think it's great that they have these little havens in the city. Absolutely wonderful," said Fraser.
The focus is the PHS City Harvest program, which grows fresh produce through a network of community gardens and helps feed more than 1,000 families every week.
"It's also about access advocacy, activism, about so many things here in a space that was under-utilized," said Jane Golden of the Mural Arts Program.
The garden is open Tuesday-Friday from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, Thursday evenings from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm, and the second Saturday of each month from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
For now the garden will stay at its current location until the beginning of October.
philadelphia, food, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 11 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 9 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 15 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 17 min ago
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 13 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly...
17 min ago