Pilot dies after small plane crash in Millville
MILLVILLE, N.J. - August 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials with the Delaware River and Bay Authority confirm to the Action News, the pilot of a small plane that crashed in Millville has died of his injuries.
The pilot has been identified as 60-year-old Ronald Lecates of Swedesboro, New Jersey.
Lecates was initially airlifted to Cooper University Hospital, but was transferred to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia where he later died.
The accident happened at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday at the Millville Airport on Leddon Street in Millville.
Pilots at the airport tell Action News Lecates, the owner of the airplane, was taking a flying lesson when the crash happened.
Authorities say a Beechcraft Baron Twin engine aircraft touched down on Runway 14-32 at the airport.
An eyewitness told investigators the plane bounced several times on the runway, veered off into the grass, traveled approximately 600 feet and flipped over.
First responders from several agencies converged on the scene.
Another victim was taken to Atlantic City Regional Medical Center in an unknown condition.
The plane sustained significant damage.
The airport was closed for about an hour.
The crash remains under investigation by the NTSB.
new jersey, air travel, plane crash, cumberland county, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 21 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
47 min ago
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze
21 min ago