Parenting: When to lose the training wheels
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- In this Parenting Perspective, we take a look at reaching that childhood milestone of biking without training wheels.
How do you know your child is ready, and what is the best way to make that transition?
Seven-year-old Ben Edlitz has mastered riding his Spiderman bike, and he's more than happy to brag a little.
"It took me two days to ride my bike without training wheels," he told Action News.
Lee Rogers of South Street's Bicycle Therapy says there's no special age at which children can lose the training wheels. Parents need to look for signs that their children have enough balance and control on the bike.
Rodgers says first make sure your child's bike is the right size. Your child should be able to stand with both feet flat on the ground and still have at least an inch of clearance between the top tube and their inseam.
Then, when you take off the training wheels, also take off the pedals. That way your child can first learn to glide.
By pushing your child from his or her shoulders you can keep your hands close in case your child starts falling.
Once he or she has mastered gliding, put the pedals on and have your child follow you while you 1run just an arm's distance way.
Another option is to make your child's first bike a "glider bike", one that doesn't have pedals at all
Home video shows 3-year-old Dylan Ickes already developing good balance.
His little sister, Delany, learned the same way. She was happily pedaling on her bike without training wheels by age 3 1/2. Read more Parenting Perspective blogs by visiting the Parenting Channel on 6abc.com.
cecily tynan parenting reports, parenting, cecily tynan
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 33 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 2 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 29 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 29 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos