'Routine' traffic stop yields 10 pounds of marijuana
WILMINGTON, Del. - October 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Wilmington, Delaware say a routine traffic stop led to the seizure of 10 pounds of marijuana and the arrest of a convicted drug offender.
Police say it was approximately 9:35 Tuesday night when officers observed a green four door sedan spin its tires on the 200 block of E. 12th Street, creating a loud screeching sound. After a quick check it was found that the vehicle was unregistered.
Officers conducted a traffic stop, and upon approaching the car police found the driver attempting to conceal something under the driver seat.
The driver, identified as 35-year-old Richard Dillard of Appleby Road in New Castle, was escorted out of the vehicle. A search under the seat revealed a sandwich bag containing marijuana.
Dillard's person was then searched, at which time officers located $1,384 cash. He was placed in custody without incident.
Officers called for a tow truck to impound the vehicle due to being unregistered. During a routine inventory search of the vehicle, officers located one pound of marijuana inside of an open book bag in the rear seat. As the search continued the officers located two five-gallon buckets containing a total of nine pounds of marijuana.
The street value for the amount of marijuana found is estimated to be worth $50,000.
Dillard, who is a convicted drug offender, is charged with Trafficking Marijuana, Possession with Intent to Deliver, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Improper Take Off, Unregistered Motor Vehicle, and Driving with No Insurance.
wilmington, delaware, marijuana, illegal drugs, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 42 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 19 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 42 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade 56 min ago