Nephew, 2, killed in crash; alcohol use suspected
DELMAR, Del. - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a 2-year-old boy was killed in a crash in southern Delaware, and investigators say the driver - the boy's aunt - may have been drinking before the wreck.
The crash happened at 2:40 p.m. Tuesday on Whitesville Road (SR30), west of Whaley's Road in Delmar.
Police say 46-year-old Danielle Bobak, of Georgetown, lost control of her 2007 Subaru Legacy. The car hit a tree and rolled over.
The boy, 2-year-old Lleyton Slate, was in a car safety seat, but it was not properly installed. The child was partially ejected from the vehicle.
Slate was flown to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Bobak, who was wearing a seatbelt, was last reported to be in serious condition at the hospital.
Police say a preliminary investigation suggests alcohol was a factor in this crash.
Whitesville Road in the area of Whaley's Road was closed for approximately three and a half hours as the crash was investigated and cleared.
The Delaware State Police and Office of Highway Safety want to remind the public to have your car seats checked. Three out of four car seats aren't installed correctly. Free check stations are offered throughout Delaware and are listed online by visiting http://ohs.delaware.gov/carseat or by contacting the Office of Highway Safety at (302)744-2740.
delaware, sussex county, accident, local/state
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 1 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos