Suspected leader of burglary ring arrested after police chase
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - November 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- The man arrested after leading police on a chase through Philadelphia is believed to be the leader of a large scale residential burglary ring, officials say.
Late Monday night, detectives prepared to search the high-end sedan and home of the suspect, Derrick Carter.
Earlier in the day, Chopper 6 HD hovered above as police with guns drawn arrested Carter at the Mayfair home on the 4700 block of Sheffield Street.
Sources say a task force has been monitoring Carter and watched as he committed three burglaries this afternoon in New Castle County, Delaware and Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Police followed the black BMW 7 series with illegal tags, but at one point, Carter got spooked and a chase ensued.
Carter's BMW reached speeds of 100mph.
Carter and an accomplice ditched some of their allegedly stolen goods in a dumpster in Wynnfield.
Police say the accomplice got away on foot.
Carter fled in his sedan and led detectives to his home where he was arrested.
Carter is being charged with aggravated assault and a fugitive of a jurisdiction in Philadelphia for the pursuit, but a slew of burglary charges await.
Sources believe Carter and his ring are responsible for dozens of burglaries in Delaware, Marple, Springfield, Lower Merion, Abington and the surrounding areas.
Investigators have been trying to crack the ring for months.
Lisa Mozier says Carter, his common-law wife, and their daughter would often come into her pizza shop.
"He was very respectful. He came around, spent good money, [was] nice. You never expect it from good people, but you never know who people really are," Mozier said.
Carter's wife was taken in for questioning, but so far, she has not been charged.
Police say the investigation is evolving and more suspects may be involved.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, police chase, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man