Teen stabbed multiple times in Berks Co. school; suspect arrested
SPRING TWP., Pa. - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A junior high school near Reading, Berks County was evacuated Tuesday morning after a stabbing. Now, one student is hospitalized - another is in police custody.
The stabbing was reported at 8:29 a.m. at Wilson Southern Middle School, located in Spring Township.
Medics transported a 14-year-old male student to the hospital. Authorities say the victim was stabbed three times - twice in the arm and once in the torso. He is currently listed in serious condition, but expected to recover.
Police have recovered the knife and arrested a 14-year-old suspect. He has not been formally charged.
Police said it all began as a dispute between the two teenagers over Facebook. The dispute turned violent when the pair met in person, leaving one of the boys injured, having suffered multiple stab wounds.
13-year-old Yazmen Crespo, a student at Wilson Southern Middle School, witnessed the altercation and spoke exclusively with Action News about the incident.
Crespo says it occurred in a hallway, saying, "I was walking to science class, and I saw two kids, and something happened. The kid screamed and dropped his books and ran the other way. And the other kid ran in the opposite direction. And we walked into science class, and the kid that hurt the kid, his books were lying there and we all were wondering what was happening."
Both the middle school and the adjoining Cornwell Terrace Elementary School went into lockdown.
The lockdown order remained in place until local police announced the suspect had been arrested.
School District officials then cancelled classes for the rest of the day and evacuated the students. School officials along with police worked together to make sure every student from both schools left with a properly identified parent or guardian.
"When you have a building the size of Southern Middle School as well as Cornwell Terrace Elementary School it does take time, and it was compounded by the crime scene that was here," said School Superintendent Dr. Rudy Ruth.
Meantime, Yazmen Crespo says this was an experience she hopes to forget.
"I was terrified, and we were sitting in the lockdown for two hours wondering what was happening," said Yazmen.
School officials say the evacuation process continued until every student was safely with a parent or guardian.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, stabbing, school, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 46 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 58 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
58 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos