Daley writes op-ed on gun debate
February 27, 2013 -- Former Mayor Richard M. Daley has jumped back into the gun debate for the first time since leaving office.
In an op-ed for the Financial Times, Daley writes, "With the U.S. focused on gun safety for the first time in decades... now is the time to ask a fundamental question: Will it finally stop favoring the industry over its children's human rights?"
He goes on to write, "If thousands of young people were harmed each year by household products... Americans would clamour for regulation."
Daley encourages parents who have lost children to gun violence to become national advocates for better laws to protect young people.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run