Daley writes op-ed on gun debate
February 27, 2013 -- Former Mayor Richard M. Daley has jumped back into the gun debate for the first time since leaving office.
In an op-ed for the Financial Times, Daley writes, "With the U.S. focused on gun safety for the first time in decades... now is the time to ask a fundamental question: Will it finally stop favoring the industry over its children's human rights?"
He goes on to write, "If thousands of young people were harmed each year by household products... Americans would clamour for regulation."
Daley encourages parents who have lost children to gun violence to become national advocates for better laws to protect young people.
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 6 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 49 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
8 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos