Daley writes op-ed on gun debate
February 27, 2013 -- Former Mayor Richard M. Daley has jumped back into the gun debate for the first time since leaving office.
In an op-ed for the Financial Times, Daley writes, "With the U.S. focused on gun safety for the first time in decades... now is the time to ask a fundamental question: Will it finally stop favoring the industry over its children's human rights?"
He goes on to write, "If thousands of young people were harmed each year by household products... Americans would clamour for regulation."
Daley encourages parents who have lost children to gun violence to become national advocates for better laws to protect young people.
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed