Dozens ticketed in Kelly Drive speed crackdown
PHILADELPHIA - April 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Dozens of people were ticketed on Monday by Philadelphia Police as officers conducted a major speeding crackdown.
The Action Cam was there following morning rush hour as cars were pulled over. Police were stopping any driver caught going more than 50 miles per hour.
Donald Armstead was not happy after he was clocked going 52 mph in the 35 mph zone. Armstead said he was simply trying to keep pace with other inbound vehicles.
"What is the purpose of a speed trap? I would like to know whether this is purely for revenue raising, or whether it's because there's been problems on this road," Armstead said.
One of the officers conducting the stops said police were out months ago handing out warnings, but accidents kept happening.
Back on March 19th, police say a speeding driver lost control of his vehicle on Kelly Drive, plunging into the Schuylkill River to his death. A Good Samaritan was injured trying to rescue him.
Police say they are trying to avoid accidents like that as they handed out some 50 tickets.
Jean Andrews was one of those ticketed. She admits Kelly Drive is highly treacherous.
"Something has to be done, this road is really dangerous. I think 50 mph is the average speed on this road," Andrews said.
Police say they will constantly be out with speed enforcement stakeouts on random days at least twice a week. The crackdowns won't be limited to Kelly Drive, but will also include Lincoln Drive and MLK Drive.
"Especially Kelly and Lincoln drives, there have been a number of accidents this year," said Officer Joe Jackson.
The fines for speeding are hefty to say the least.
Chad Smith of Center City said he was handed a ticket of $194 for going 60 mph. When told police were cracking down on speeders, he said it's "probably not a bad thing."
philadelphia, police, local/state, vernon odom
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 52 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 19 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
19 min ago