Man found shot dead inside burning SW Phila. home
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Firefighters found a man dead of an apparent gunshot wound inside a burning home in Southwest Philadelphia Wednesday morning.
The man has been identified as 75-year-old Grover Edwards.
Around 7:30 a.m. the fire department was called out to the report of a fire on the 5900 block of Springfield Avenue.
Heavy smoke was showing on the second floor of the house when firefighters arrived.
When crew members entered the home they found a male on the second floor dead.
The victim had apparently suffered a gunshot wound to the head.
Edwards is a retired Navy Ship Yard worker, father of four, and grandfather of eight.
His family tells Action News, Edwards was beaten and robbed last summer of $2,000 cash.
His family also confirms that Edwards operated an after hours speakeasy out of his home. One theory is that he was targeted for another robbery.
Homicide detectives and the fire marshal are now investigating.
Late Wednesday afternoon workers were boarding up Edwards' home after the fire.
southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, fire, shooting, 6at4, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court 17 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 41 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 33 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 10 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm