Abington postal worker stole money, gift cards, police say
ABINGTON, Pa. - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The US Postal Service and Abington Township police say it took a lot of thought and effort for a worker to steal from customers at a post office, but, in the end, it didn't pay off.
Authorities say 25-year-old Jamie Pamela Fletcher of Germantown was on the hunt for cards loaded with cash and gift cards at the post office on Keith Road.
Fletcher was arrested and charged Tuesday with stealing from the mail. Police believe she got away with at least $500 and ten gift cards worth various amounts.
"It's just wrong. That's my mail, that's supposed to be my gift, my card, or if I'm sending it to someone, I'm hoping they are going to receive it," Abington resident Terri Durphy said.
Investigators say shortly after Fletcher was assigned to the Abington post office in January, she kept an eye out for greeting cards.
They believe for months she would carefully open the mail and swipe the money or gift cards inside.
But to cut down on suspicion, the postal service says Fletcher would re-seal the envelopes and put them right back into circulation to be mailed off.
"Sometimes these days it seems like people are really desperate," Sandy Roatch of Abington said.
Fletcher has only worked for the US Postal Service since November of last year.
Police think there could be a lot of victims out there so they're letting customers of this post office know that if your mailed cash or gift cards mysteriously disappeared, come forward.
Fletcher turned herself in to police and they say she was the one who told them she stole the money and gift cards.
She was arraigned and released on $10,000 unsecured bail.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, theft, u.s. postal service, local/state, kenneth moton
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 13 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 10 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 56 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 30 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos