Los Angeles News
Hacienda Heights shooting was murder-suicide
HACIENDA HEIGHTS, Calif. -- A shooting that left three people dead in Hacienda Heights Wednesday is believed to be a murder-suicide.
Authorities received two 911 calls about a shooting in the 15900 block of Ladysmith Street at 8:59 a.m. -- one from a neighbor and one from inside the house.
When deputies arrived, two elderly women were found dead inside the home. A third victim, an elderly man, died while being rushed to a local hospital.
Jim Crabtree identified the three as his 80-year-old mother, Carol Crabtree, his 84-year-old father, Dan Crabtree, and his 62-year-old wife, Rita Delehanty. He says he found out about the shooting watching Eyewitness News at 11am.
Crabtree says all three were dealing with health issues: His wife suffered from Alzheimer's, his 80-year-old mother suffered from chronic pain and his 84-year-old father was in the early stages of Alzheimer's.
"This is the classic ending of three people with terminal illnesses," Jim Crabtree said.
Authorities say deputies found Delehanty dead in the living room, Carol Crabtree dead in a powered wheelchair in the back bedroom, and Dan Crabtree barely alive on the backyard porch. A shotgun and handgun were found near him.
Investigators believe it was Dan Crabtree who may have made the 911 call from inside the home.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 56 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 46 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
56 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
46 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos