New sighting reported of missing student Matthew Royer's car
SKIPPACK Twp., Pa. - May 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania State Police say they have confirmed a new sighting of the car belonging to a missing college student who vanished while driving home to Skippack Township, Montgomery County.
Police now say the car, belonging to 21-year-old Matthew Royer, was spotted at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, May 17th at Route 501 and Route 422 in Lebanon County, Pa.
That new sighting is about 11 hours after the previous sighting, which was from a surveillance camera at a Sunoco gas station in Breiningsville, Lehigh County, where Royer used his debit card to make a purchase. That was shortly after 2:00 a.m. Friday.
Before that, Royer was seen on Thursday, May 16th leaving his apartment at the University of Rhode Island. His family told Action News he was set to drive home following the end of the semester.
His family is desperately trying to find him.
"We've narrowed it down to 30-40 miles from our house and we can't find him," said his mother, Janet Royer.
She showed Action News a text message Royer sent, saying he overslept and was getting a late start around 6:00 p.m. Thursday. A gas station stop in Rhode Island shows Royer left around 6:30 p.m.
The sighting in Breiningsville was just 35 miles from his parent's home.
Royer never showed to work at Skippack Golf Course on Friday morning and by Friday afternoon his mom contacted police.
A check of Royer's cell phone shows it stopped working around noon on Saturday.
According to Royer's parents, his normal route from the university takes five to six hours. He normally takes I-95 to the Tappan Zee Bridge, then to I-78 where he takes Route 100.
The realtor of Royer's apartment in Rhode Island says he moved out for the end of the semester and the keys were returned.
Royer's parents helped him move out of school a few weeks ago and his car was crammed with belongings including electronics and a laptop.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, rhode island, missing person, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos