Police investigate murder-suicide in Durham
DURHAM -- Two people are dead after a murder-suicide shooting in Durham Wednesday afternoon.
It happened in the parking lot of the Duke Forest Place business complex in the 3300 block of Chapel Hill Boulevard around 3:15 p.m.
The victims have been identified as 40-year-old Millicent Lavon Blair-Arnett and 45-year-old Anthony Carl Arnett. Police said they had been married to each other and divorced a few years ago. They had two children together.
Court documents revealed Blair-Arnett took out a protective order against her ex-husband over alleged domestic violence.
When police arrived, they found Millicent Blair-Arnett lying in the parking lot. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Anthony Arnett shot himself as officers arrived on the scene. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Blair-Arnett worked as a speech pathologist in the building where she was shot.
Arnett's mother told ABC11 that she believes her son just "snapped." The couple had been involved in a custody battle for five years. Arnett apparently filed new paperwork on Tuesday alleging his ex-wife had been sabotaging their custody agreement.
durham county, local/state
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 18 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Video: Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain