Police investigate murder-suicide in Durham
DURHAM -- Two people are dead after a murder-suicide shooting in Durham Wednesday afternoon.
It happened in the parking lot of the Duke Forest Place business complex in the 3300 block of Chapel Hill Boulevard around 3:15 p.m.
The victims have been identified as 40-year-old Millicent Lavon Blair-Arnett and 45-year-old Anthony Carl Arnett. Police said they had been married to each other and divorced a few years ago. They had two children together.
Court documents revealed Blair-Arnett took out a protective order against her ex-husband over alleged domestic violence.
When police arrived, they found Millicent Blair-Arnett lying in the parking lot. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Anthony Arnett shot himself as officers arrived on the scene. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Blair-Arnett worked as a speech pathologist in the building where she was shot.
Arnett's mother told ABC11 that she believes her son just "snapped." The couple had been involved in a custody battle for five years. Arnett apparently filed new paperwork on Tuesday alleging his ex-wife had been sabotaging their custody agreement.
durham county, local/state
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief