Willow Grove man arrested in 'Craigslist murder'
WEST OAK LANE - June 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police arrested a man from Willow Grove in the murder of a New Jersey man who was killed while responding to a Craigslist ad.
23-year-old Thomas Coffee has been arrested and charged with murder and related offenses.
It was around 11:00 p.m. Friday when police responded to the shooting near the intersection of Hollis and East Walnut Lane in West Oak Lane.
The victim has been identified as 27-year-old Daniel Cooke of Williamstown, N.J.
Police say Cooke's murder was premeditated and calculating.
Coffee allegedly lured Cooke through a Craigslist ad for an ATV.
Authorities say Cooke traveled to Philadelphia with his girlfriend and some friends to meet the seller.
Police say when he arrived at Hollis Street and East Walnut Lane, Cooke was shot and robbed. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"He was a really good guy, a really good guy. Everyone liked him around here, he was a man of his word, I knew that," said Giuseppe Fricano, victim's friend.
In Williamstown, where Cooke is from, friends and family are devastated by his death.
Fricano said Cooke did what he had to make ends meet and care for his family.
"He was a family man. I know he had kids of his own and I know he was with this woman that had two of her own and he treated them like his own," said Fricano.
Meanwhile Coffee is no stranger to law enforcement. Court records reveal he has a long history of arrests for burglary, theft and firearms.
homicide, philadelphia, west oak lane, shooting, craigslist, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 40 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ