'Kill Zimmerman' painted on business before arson in Downingtown
DOWNINGTOWN, Pa. - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Chester County, Pennsylvania are investigating an act of vandalism with racial overtones, possibly connected to the fallout from the verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial.
Photographs obtained by Action News show what firefighters found Sunday night when they responded to a fire at ProSigns, a company that manufactures commercial signs for businesses, in the 200 block of Boot Road.
You can clearly see the words "Kill Zimmerman" painted in red paint on the front wall.
The graffiti was discovered when firefighters arrived to extinguish a blaze around 11:20 p.m. Sunday.
The fire was brought under control quickly and no one was hurt. Considering the graffiti, investigators immediately suspected the blaze was intentionally set.
On Monday, the fire was ruled an arson, fueled by an unknown accelerant.
It was Saturday night when a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, prompting outrage and protests - mostly peaceful - around the country.
Monday afternoon, investigators returned to the commercial business located in an industrial area of the Chester county community to look for new clues.
Inside, a professional clean-up crew worked to repair smoke and water damage. One law enforcement source put the damage estimate at about a half million dollars.
Law enforcement sources are being extremely tight-lipped as the investigation continues.
We do know that county and local police are involved in the investigation and that so far no arrests have been made.
downingtown, chester county news, pennsylvania news, fire, vandalism, arson, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme 22 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 22 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos