Victim of Philadelphia rape attempt runs to bus for help
EAST MOUNT AIRY - August 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the report of an attempted rape in an incident that spans two sections of Philadelphia.
The 31-year-old woman was putting her bags into her car, getting ready to go to work around 8:00 a.m. Thursday, when the suspect jumped into the passenger seat in the 1900 block of Conlyn Street in the Germantown section.
Because the suspect remains at-large, we're not identifying the victim who spoke with Action News today.
"He's like 'be quiet or I'm going to shoot you,'" she said.
The suspect then asked 'where her money was?'
As the suspect rummaged through her purse and glove box and threatened to sexually assault her, the woman began to plot her escape.
"All I could think about was him taking me into a park, raping me and killing me and then my family have to find my remains and that was literally what was going through my mind and I didn't want that to happen," she said. "When we go to Chew and Washington Lane, I saw a SEPTA bus, it wasn't moving."
That's when she jumped out of the car. The car crashed into a gas station sign.
"So that's when I got out of the car and just banged on the bus door to let me in. I was scared and I figured if he was going to shoot me at least there would be witnesses," the woman said.
The bus driver let her onto the bus and called police.
Action News spoke with passenger Paul Speaks about what he saw.
"She got on the bus hysterical saying 'Help me, help me.' That's when we found out that he abducted her, or forced her into her car from her home. She came out of her doorway and that's when he ran up to her and made her get in the car," Speaks said.
The suspect got out of the car and fled on foot.
Police are now checking SEPTA's surveillance cameras for potential video of the suspect.
philadelphia, east mount airy, accident, rape, sex assault, germantown, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man rescued from Schuylkill River 4 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security 8 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 5 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 22 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!