3 dead after overnight Chester shootings
CHESTER, Pa. - August 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three people are now dead after overnight shootings in Chester, Pa.
The first shooting, involving two of the victims, happened around 11:25 p.m. in the 1300 block of West 7th Street.
Those victims, 18-year-old Frank Perkins and a 22-year-old David Colon Jr., were shot in the back as they ran up a pathway leading to the Chester Apartments.
Perkins was pronounced dead at the scene. Medics rushed Colon to the hospital where he died a short time later.
"It's my son, my only son. I was just with him last night," said his father, David Colon Sr.
Police are chasing down some leads but so far they haven't identified any suspects.
Police also say the shots came from more than one gun.
Neighbors say there's a lot of drug activity in the area, and some of the victims had run-ins with the law before.
"Some of the victims are known to our officers, some of the victims were persons of interest in other shootings," said Chester Police Commissioner Joseph Bail.
"He was a smart young man, outgoing, loved to laugh. He just got caught up in the streets," Colon Sr. said.
While police were responding to this incident, shots rang out about two miles away on the 900 block of McDonnell Avenue.
That's where 20-year-old Basillio Clausell was shot in the head while driving his car.
Police say Clausell was taken to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he later died.
The violent night in Chester has left residents wondering if it will ever end.
"People don't know how to let things go, to forgive and forget. They seem to forget that violence brings violence," said Chester resident Jayson Gethers. "It's really breaking my heart."
chester, shooting, homicide, delaware county news, pennsylvania news, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 26 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 47 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 2 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...