Philadelphia Sports Congress responds to WrestleMania bid reports
PHILADELPHIA - August 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Like any captivating pro wrestling plot, the storyline of WWE's WrestleMania event coming to Philadelphia in 2015 is building to a dramatic climax.
The competition for WrestleMania 31 host city is down to two finalists: Santa Clara, California and Philly, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
To gauge Philadelphia's interest in securing WrestleMania, 6abc.com reached out to the Philadelphia Sports Congress on Wednesday.
They replied with the following statement:
While it is not our policy to discuss ongoing bid efforts, the Sports Congress and our area partners are in constant dialogue with the WWE about hosting their various major events, including WrestleMania and many others. Philadelphia has a long-standing history of partnering with the WWE in hosting countless events, and we look forward to continuing that partnership moving forward for years to come.
According the Mercury News report, San Clara's mayor and San Francisco 49ers executives are flying to Connecticut to meet WWE's chairman, Vince McMahon, to try and secure Levi's Stadium for Wrestlemania 31.
"Two weeks ago, city leaders and 49ers CEO Jed York blitzed WWE officials with a presentation at Niners headquarters, emphasizing the stadium's technology and size," the Mercury News said.
Levi's Stadium is the future home of the San Francisco 49ers and the location for Super Bowl L in February 2016.
But Philadelphia does not seem to be backing down to get pro wrestling's Super Bowl held on Broad Street.
As the Mercury News pointed out, "Wrestling blogs and Philadelphia media are abuzz about the City of Brotherly Love's pitch for the event."
Last month, the wrestling news website Wrestlechat.net cited sources saying Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field and Santa Clara's Levi's Stadiums were the top contenders for the 2015 wrestling extravaganza.
At the time, 6abc.com contacted WWE in regards to that report and the sports entertainment company replied with the following statement:
Philadelphia is one of the many cities that has expressed an interest in hosting a future WrestleMania. An announcement regarding WrestleMania 31 will be made early next year.
The internet buzz of the City of Brotherly Love hosting its first WrestleMania since 1999 waned for the past few weeks until The San Jose Mercury News posted their story Tuesday.
In light of the new reports of Philadelphia as a WrestleMania finalist, WWE deferred, at this time, to the above statement.
This past April, WWE held their biggest event of the year at MetLife stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. WrestleMania 29 grossed an excess of $72 million, the highest grossing event in WWE history and attracted 80,676 fans.
philadelphia, lincoln financial field, philadelphia eagles, wwe, wrestling, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 17 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 3 min ago
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's 12 min ago
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House 11 min ago
- Fight erupts during Philly Christmas tree...
29 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
12 min ago
- Mysterious, driverless car spotted on highway
11 min ago
- First dog knocks down toddler at White House
11 min ago