2 women raped by group in Wilmington park
WILMINGTON, Del. - August 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say two women were attacked and raped by a large group of juveniles in a Wilmington park on Thursday evening.
The attack happened in Kosciuszko Park, which is between South Franklin and Broom streets.
Officers say they arrived at the park at 6:54 p.m. in response to a 911 call.
There, the officers found the victims, a 32-year-old woman and a 24-year-old woman.
Police say their initial information suggests the two women were in the park when they were approached by a large group of juveniles.
The group then attacked the women before fleeing in an unknown direction.
Investigators had only a vague description of the suspects.
Both victims were taken to Christiana Hospital.
Neighbors say the park has become increasingly unsafe over the years. Many now avoid walking through the park, especially after dark.
"I will completely go around the park because it's hidden. Even though the trees are beautiful you never know what's lurking behind those trees," said Tabita Ares of Wilmington.
The park has tennis courts, basketball courts and a playground. However, residents like Eric Moore, are afraid to let their children go anywhere near it.
"Too much violence, and I'm worried about my kids. I can't even let them run out and play anymore," Moore said.
Police were in the park on Friday, but residents say they haven't seen them around much lately. That includes former city councilman Kevin Kelley.
"We don't have a police plan in this city. We continue to react to the violence that's occurring. This park has had homicides, rapes, continued violence," Kelley said.
For now, police need help finding the suspects, and they're hoping the suspects themselves come forward.
"Step up, turn yourselves in so we can move forward," said Cpl. Jamaine Crawford of the Wilmington Police. "At this time in their lives they need help and we can get them help."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Joseph Cooper at 302-576-3634, the Wilmington Police Confidential Tip Line at 302-576-3990, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or online at www.tipsubmit.com.
delaware news, wilmington, rape, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 35 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 54 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 25 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
25 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos