Police-involved shooting leaves one person wounded in Sharon Hill, Pa.
SHARON HILL, Pa. - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Sharon Hill, Delaware County.
It happened after 3:30 p.m. Monday in the 1000 block of Chester Pike.
Police say an officer stopped a white Nissan for a traffic violation.
They say the driver got out, ran down Chester Pike toward Barker Avenue, then crouched behind a car.
Police say he then pulled out a handgun and started firing at the officer.
The officer shot back, hitting the suspect twice.
The suspect, a man in his 30's, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
The officer was not injured.
Police say as many as 12 shots were fired between the officer and the suspect. Investigators did recover a weapon at the scene.
There was no immediate word why the man was running from police.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, delaware county news, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted local schools 28 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!