Police-involved shooting leaves one person wounded in Sharon Hill, Pa.
SHARON HILL, Pa. - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in Sharon Hill, Delaware County.
It happened after 3:30 p.m. Monday in the 1000 block of Chester Pike.
Police say an officer stopped a white Nissan for a traffic violation.
They say the driver got out, ran down Chester Pike toward Barker Avenue, then crouched behind a car.
Police say he then pulled out a handgun and started firing at the officer.
The officer shot back, hitting the suspect twice.
The suspect, a man in his 30's, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
The officer was not injured.
Police say as many as 12 shots were fired between the officer and the suspect. Investigators did recover a weapon at the scene.
There was no immediate word why the man was running from police.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, delaware county news, local/state
- Search for finger-biting attack suspect 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 23 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting attack suspect
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
2 min ago