Police in Pleasantville, New Jersey cleared in deadly shooting
PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. - September 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Grand jurors have cleared three Pleasantville police officers who shot and killed an armed man outside his home.
Approximately 10 officers in April responded to a 911 call from 19-year-old Alexis Perez, who told a dispatcher he felt like killing somebody.
The Press of Atlantic City eports acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain says officers did everything not to shoot Perez, including allowing him to get within 6 feet of them even though he was armed with a knife.
Three officers opened fire when Perez refused to drop the weapon. Seven bullets struck Perez in the head, neck, chest, shoulder and abdomen. He died at the scene.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.)
new jersey news, atlantic county news, police, shooting, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 50 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 13 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 6 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 55 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 14 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
50 min ago