Body found inside burning car in Southwest Philadelphia
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are working to identify the man who was found dead inside a burning car early Monday morning in Southwest Philadelphia and figure out how he died.
The body was found after a report of a car fire in the 5500 block of Paschall Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia around 3:30 a.m. Monday.
Neighbors were awakened by the sound of the Nissan Maxima's horn, somehow activated by the fire.
The victim was found in the back seat with his hands tied behind him and duct tape around his neck, Philadelphia Police Capt. James Clark told Action News.
Investigators told Action News that two men were seen getting out of the car seconds before it burst into flames.
The dead man's remains were burnt beyond recognition and authorities are still attempting to identify him.
Police are waiting for the medical examiner to determine an exact cause of death. However, they say there were signs of obvious trauma to the victim's head.
"Probably he was killed before and he was taken there and the car was torched," Clark said.
Investigators say they are confident they'll be able to identify him despite the fire. That hasn't been the case with two other similar incidents over the past nine months.
In January, a man's body was found in a burning van on the 3300 block of North19th Street in Tioga-Nicetown.
In June, a body was found in a burning car in Pennypack Park near the 2300 block of Woodward St.
Those victims have not yet been identified.
In this latest case, police say they have retrieved video surveillance from cameras on a building near the scene.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
southwest philadelphia news, philadelphia news, fire, explosion, body found, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 24 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
37 min ago