Body found inside burning car in Southwest Philadelphia
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are working to identify the man who was found dead inside a burning car early Monday morning in Southwest Philadelphia and figure out how he died.
The body was found after a report of a car fire in the 5500 block of Paschall Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia around 3:30 a.m. Monday.
Neighbors were awakened by the sound of the Nissan Maxima's horn, somehow activated by the fire.
The victim was found in the back seat with his hands tied behind him and duct tape around his neck, Philadelphia Police Capt. James Clark told Action News.
Investigators told Action News that two men were seen getting out of the car seconds before it burst into flames.
The dead man's remains were burnt beyond recognition and authorities are still attempting to identify him.
Police are waiting for the medical examiner to determine an exact cause of death. However, they say there were signs of obvious trauma to the victim's head.
"Probably he was killed before and he was taken there and the car was torched," Clark said.
Investigators say they are confident they'll be able to identify him despite the fire. That hasn't been the case with two other similar incidents over the past nine months.
In January, a man's body was found in a burning van on the 3300 block of North19th Street in Tioga-Nicetown.
In June, a body was found in a burning car in Pennypack Park near the 2300 block of Woodward St.
Those victims have not yet been identified.
In this latest case, police say they have retrieved video surveillance from cameras on a building near the scene.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
southwest philadelphia news, philadelphia news, fire, explosion, body found, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 52 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings