Holiday food drive - Changing face of hunger
November 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Every year during the holiday season, 6abc partners in the region's largest food drive, and the need, this year, is deep.
Philabundance estimates there are 900,000 Delaware Valley residents at risk of going hungry.
This month, Action News begins a series of reports on people in our region struggling to make ends meet.
Meet Irene Bartow, a Bucks County senior citizen who can't afford to buy the food she needs to survive.
A new study by the National Women's Law Center shows she is part of a growing trend as more and more elderly are suffering from poverty.
70-year-old Irene Bartow worked all of her life as a bookkeeper; her husband was a steelworker. But when he died a year and a half ago, she lost both him and his pension.
"There was a lot of things that I had to cut down on. I had to put my health insurance to a minimum. It was a struggle," said Irene Bartow.
She gave up her house and moved in with her son until an apartment opened up in a public housing complex for low income seniors.
That's where she learned about Philabundance.
The agency gives out more than 9,000 boxes of food a month to help low-income seniors like Irene keep their kitchens stocked.
"They're great. Without them, I'd starve," said Bartow.
Bartow tells Action News, Philabundance supplies her with items that she literally could not afford otherwise.
She supplements her senior boxes with $2 lunches at the senior center and bargains at the Dollar Store. Her only income, at this point, is social security.
"People like me, and I know there's a lot of us, we need it. We really need this to survive," said Bartow.
If you want to help people like Irene, who are in need, click on the 6abc /Dunkin Donuts holiday food drive to see the many ways that you can Connect-Share-Give.
philadelphia news, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 43 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 28 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
30 min ago