Suspect charged in deadly South Street shooting, victim ID'd
PHILADELPHIA - November 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in a deadly shooting that occurred on South Street over the weekend.
24-year-old Aaron Howard, alias Lance Smith, from Willingboro, New Jersey has been charged with Murder, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault and related offenses.
Howard is accused of shooting 21-year-old Demetry Presley of Sicklerville multiple times in the upper body.
Presley was transported to Jefferson University Hospital where he later died.
The melee started just after 1:00 a.m. Sunday inside the Mixed Plate in the 200 block of South Street.
"Chaos, absolutely chaos, never saw anything like it in my life. It set me off balance," witness Dominic Vadino said.
The fight spilled onto South Street, where police say Howard opened fire in the direction of a large crowd of people before fleeing the location.
Vadino, a South Jersey film student who was with friends on 2nd Street, heard the shots and recorded the aftermath.
"Everyone was freaking out, people crying on the ground. It was pretty emotional," said Vadino.
Police and bystanders ducked for cover when the gunfire erupted on the popular and crowded Philadelphia street.
Bike cops chased down the Howard, who was also taken to the hospital for injuries suffered during the brawl.
Police say they recovered the gun Howard used in the shooting.
Meantime, residents are still talking about the incident.
One of the bullets made it to Brian Shilling's 5th floor home at Abbott Square Condos.
It shattered his sliding glass balcony door and ripped through his curtain.
"It was actually very shocking. I've been here for 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened," said Shilling.
Shilling is feeling blessed. He went to bed early because he was tired from putting up holiday decorations.
The stray bullet hit his living room wall barely missing the top of his Christmas tree.
"If I had decided to finish it yesterday, I could have been in the bullet's line. So I was very lucky that I got tired," he said.
philadelphia news, fight, shooting, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police