Suspect charged in deadly South Street shooting, victim ID'd
PHILADELPHIA - November 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in a deadly shooting that occurred on South Street over the weekend.
24-year-old Aaron Howard, alias Lance Smith, from Willingboro, New Jersey has been charged with Murder, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault and related offenses.
Howard is accused of shooting 21-year-old Demetry Presley of Sicklerville multiple times in the upper body.
Presley was transported to Jefferson University Hospital where he later died.
The melee started just after 1:00 a.m. Sunday inside the Mixed Plate in the 200 block of South Street.
"Chaos, absolutely chaos, never saw anything like it in my life. It set me off balance," witness Dominic Vadino said.
The fight spilled onto South Street, where police say Howard opened fire in the direction of a large crowd of people before fleeing the location.
Vadino, a South Jersey film student who was with friends on 2nd Street, heard the shots and recorded the aftermath.
"Everyone was freaking out, people crying on the ground. It was pretty emotional," said Vadino.
Police and bystanders ducked for cover when the gunfire erupted on the popular and crowded Philadelphia street.
Bike cops chased down the Howard, who was also taken to the hospital for injuries suffered during the brawl.
Police say they recovered the gun Howard used in the shooting.
Meantime, residents are still talking about the incident.
One of the bullets made it to Brian Shilling's 5th floor home at Abbott Square Condos.
It shattered his sliding glass balcony door and ripped through his curtain.
"It was actually very shocking. I've been here for 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened," said Shilling.
Shilling is feeling blessed. He went to bed early because he was tired from putting up holiday decorations.
The stray bullet hit his living room wall barely missing the top of his Christmas tree.
"If I had decided to finish it yesterday, I could have been in the bullet's line. So I was very lucky that I got tired," he said.
philadelphia news, fight, shooting, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 21 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 29 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 11 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 19 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
21 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
19 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
11 min ago