Convicted sex offender faces rape charges in Delaware
FELTON, Del. - November 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- A convicted sex offender is under arrest in Delaware on charges of unlawful sex with a 14-year-old girl.
Police arrested Edward Bassett, 29, Friday near his home on Country Side Drive in Felton, Delaware following an investigation.Police say Bassett befriended the alleged victim on Facebook a year ago.
According to investigators, the 14-year-old ran away from her home in Middletown and moved in with Bassett, who lived with his mother and three children.
The investigation determined that the two became involved in a sexual relationship and had 8 sexual encounters during a one month period.
The teenage girl was picked up by Camden Police on Wednesday and returned to her home.
Bassett faces several counts of rape and other related offenses. He is being held on $580,000 secured bond.
sex offenders, rape, sex assault, delaware news, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 27 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 6 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 6 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases