Suspect shot, killed by victim in attempted robbery in Feltonville
PHILADELPHIA - December 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say an attempted robbery turned deadly when the victim pulled out a gun and opened fire on the suspect.
The incident happened around 2:00 a.m. Tuesday in the area of Rising Sun and Wyoming Avenues in Philadelphia's Feltonville section.
Nearly 40 shots were fired around 2:00 a.m. Tuesday when an armed man attempted to rob two men who were walking to their car. One robbery target grabbed his gun and a shootout ensued that saw 37 shots fired.
Police say two accomplices of the stickup man started shooting as well before fleeing.
Two weapons were recovered at the scene overnight, and late today police found a third handgun believed to have been used during the wild shootout.
The robbery victim, 26-year-old Khalif Murray, was critically wounded and remains hospitalized in critical condition.
The initial robber was mortally wounded, having been shot in the head, stomach and back. He is identified as 25-year-old Broderick Howard, who is known to police with pinches including firearms violations dating back to 2006.
Howard's two accomplices remain at large.
Multiple surveillance cameras in the neighborhood did not yield pictures that have helped detectives.
shooting, feltonville news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 20 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 15 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 45 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
10 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
15 min ago