Young mom fatally shot in front of kids near southwest Houston elementary school
HOUSTON -- Authorities are investigating a southwest Houston shooting that left a young mother dead.
The shooting happened outside a group of homes in the 3400 block of Rocky Ridge.
Police say 24-year-old Yoli Perez was walking from her apartment to pick up her seven-year-old daughter from school. She never made it to Emerson Elementary. She was shot on this sidewalk and left to die in someone's front lawn.
"Man just shot her point blank man, just walked up and shot her," an eyewitness said.
A neighbor says he heard four gunshots as school was letting out Tuesday afternoon, followed by a group of screaming children. He says he ran outside and saw a young woman's body dead on the sidewalk, and she was already dead.
"I heard four shots -- boom, boom, boom, boom! I came out to the front of the house, and just saw a bunch of kids screaming, and yelling call 911. So I did," neighbor James Durbin said.
An 11-year-old girl who was walking home from school witnessed the whole thing.
"When I saw it, I was really shocked and really sad," she said.
Police say the killer ambushed Perez, shot her several times then ran off.
"There was a stray bullet that flew and did strike the back van window of a parent that was picking up a child. Fortunately, she was not injured," HPD Sgt. Eli Cisneros said.
Family members say Perez, who recently moved to the U.S. from Honduras, was shot twice in her neighborhood just last month.
Perez's daughter is safe with family.
The killer got away.
HISD says additional counselors will be on the campus of Emerson Elementary on Wednesday, and extra police will be patrolling the campus.
Anyone with information about the identity of the suspect is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of Houston at (713) 222-TIPS (8477).
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 1 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos