6ABC Loves The Arts
Maestro Charles Dutoit's final concerts
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - May 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you like the opera and the orchestra, this week, you can get two for the price of one.
The Philadelphia Orchestra is performing Richard Strauss' impossibly-demanding one-act opera, Elektra, this week.
It is part of a month-long celebration of Maestro Charles Dutoit who, after 30-years with the Philadelphia Orchestra, is leading his final few concerts as chief conductor.
Elektra is Strauss' turn of the 20th century re-telling of Sophocles Greek tragedy, and it is a stage opera that is a musical tour-de-force.
David Kim, Concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra said, "It's kind of hair-raising in a way and it's about revenge and lust and jealousy, very punishing for the singers, but also for the orchestra."
Extra musicians are being brought in to supplement the sound of the Philadelphia Orchestra.
"It's going to be one of the really memorable moments, I think, in my career, and all of us to be able to experience this great poweresque opera with Dutoit conducting," said Kim.
Next week, the maestro will conduct his final concerts of the regular season in a series entitled 'Celebrating Dutoit.'
"And he goes out with a bang for over 30 years of really, really historic music-making," added Kim.
At the end of May, the Orchestra with Maestro Dutoit heads to China for 2 weeks. It is the first year of what will be a 5 year residency there.
Kim stated, "We're teaching in China. We're playing chamber music concerts. I'm leading a concert without conductor. It's an amazing undertaking and not a day will go by without several members of the orchestra if not the entire orchestra going out into the community and working together with young Chinese musicians.
You can go to Philadelphia Orchestra for details on the orchestra's final concerts with Maestro Dutoit.
philadelphia, philadelphia orchestra, music, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion 26 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions 57 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start 56 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
57 min ago
- John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos