2 City Council employees charged with DUI (PHOTOS)
SPRING GARDEN - September 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An aide to Philadelphia City Council President Darrell Clarke has been charged with DUI and driving with a suspended license after crashing a city owned vehicle on Saturday.
According to police, it was around 3:00 a.m. when 50-year-old Robin Jones, a receptionist in Council President Darrell Clarke's office, crashed the car she was driving near the intersection of North 13th and Hamilton streets in the city's Spring Garden section.
PHOTOS: WEBSITE and iPAD VISITORS | WIRELESS VISITORS
Police say Jones lost control of the 2008 Chevy Cobalt she was driving and struck a pole, then a wall. She told police she was trying to avoid hitting a bicyclist.
41-year-old Rodney Williams, also a City Council employee, was allegedly called by Jones and then showed up at the scene of the crash to help.
Officials say when officers arrived on the scene Williams was visibly intoxicated. Both were arrested for suspicion of DUI and then later charged. Jones also faces charges for driving with a suspended license.
Adding to the mess is the fact that both Jones and Williams had been operating city owned vehicles at the time of their arrest.
Council President Darrell Clarke issued a statement Saturday saying, "I have been informed by the Philadelphia Police Department that two City Council employees face possible DUI charges following incidents involving City-owned vehicles early this morning. The employees, one a receptionist and the other a Sergeant-at-Arms, were not authorized to use the City-owned vehicles at the time of the incidents. These acts, if confirmed by the authorities, display a level of conduct and disregard for public safety that cannot be tolerated."Clarke says he will wait for the results of a full investigation by the Philadelphia Police before taking appropriate action. No injuries were reported. The accident is under investigation.
philadelphia, spring garden, accident, DUI, philadelphia city council, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 4 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish