14 arrested after large fight in Center City Philadelphia (PHOTOS)
CENTER CITY - April 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A total of 14 people were arrested following a large fight in Center City Philadelphia on Tuesday afternoon.
Of those arrested, 11 are males and 3 are females. Four of those arrested are also over 18 years old.
It appears the group was mostly made up of students. The boys were from Overbrook, Roman Catholic, Bishop McDevitt and Camelot. The girls were from Hallahan, Randolf Technical and Academy at Palumbo.
Police were called to the area of 16th and Chestnut streets at 3:50 p.m.
There, officers reported some 200 people on the street, and some were actively fighting.
Officers called for backup and the situation was declared 'under control' at 4:05 p.m.
However, some members of the crowd - described as teens and young adults - refused to leave.
Chopper 6 HD was over the scene and the Action Cam was on the ground as people were put into police vans.
By about 4:45 p.m., the police vehicles were gone and traffic was moving normally in the area.
While there was no word on what sparked this situation, large crowds and fights are not uncommon in the city in the warm weather.
philadelphia, center city, fight, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 14 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft 58 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 18 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park 56 min ago
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 53 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies