Teen arrested after fetus found in Lancaster high school
LANCASTER, Pa. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in central Pennsylvania say a 19-year-old faces charges and is being held on $1 million bail after giving birth in a bathroom at her high school and trying to flush the fetus down a toilet.
Lancaster police say Cherlie LaFleur gave birth in the bathroom at McCaskey East High School Tuesday and discarded the male fetus in a trash can after trying to flush it down the toilet.
Investigators don't know if it was stillborn or born alive; an autopsy showed it was 27 to 29 weeks.
LaFfleur is charged with concealing the death of a child. It wasn't immediately clear if she had an attorney.
A custodian found the fetus around 10 p.m. Tuesday. On Wednesday, detectives conducted interviews and reviewed video footage, identifying LaFleur as the mother.
pennsylvania, lancaster county, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 17 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 23 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 15 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm