Pennridge High School softball coach charged with sex assault of teen player
PERKASIE, Pa. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Bucks County high school softball coach has been arrested in connection with the sexual assault of a 16-year-old player.
36-year-old Eric Romig, the coach of the Pennridge High School JV softball team, has been charged with institutional sexual assault and sexual abuse, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler announced Tuesday.
Heckler says the relationship between the coach and the player began in May.
The girl's parents became suspicious in recent days because of an unusual amount of text messages between the two and alerted authorities.
"Ultimately, they searched her cell phone and there was in excess of 300 texts in one 24 hour period of time," Bucks County Deputy District Attorney Jenn Schorn said.
Romig is married and a father of three.
Authorities say Romig and the girl had sex in his Richland Township home, a park, and in the alleged victim's house in Perkasie.
In court documents, detectives say the two exchanged sexual videos of each other on their cell phones.
The 36-year-old was a contract employee for Pennridge High School and coached the junior varsity team, along with a traveling team called the Sellersville Belles.
Heckler says while one student has come forward, there is concern over more potential victims.
"It is possible Romig victimized others under his care and direction at some point in the past," Heckler said.
The district attorney says investigators are trying to learn more about where he's coached.
"There are apparently some reference in his conversations with our primary victim to another young woman," Heckler said.
If found guilty, Romig faces 38 years in prison.
Anyone with information should contact Bucks County detectives at 215-348-6354.
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, sex assault, students, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 10 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
10 min ago