Pennridge High School softball coach charged with sex assault of teen player
PERKASIE, Pa. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Bucks County high school softball coach has been arrested in connection with the sexual assault of a 16-year-old player.
36-year-old Eric Romig, the coach of the Pennridge High School JV softball team, has been charged with institutional sexual assault and sexual abuse, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler announced Tuesday.
Heckler says the relationship between the coach and the player began in May.
The girl's parents became suspicious in recent days because of an unusual amount of text messages between the two and alerted authorities.
"Ultimately, they searched her cell phone and there was in excess of 300 texts in one 24 hour period of time," Bucks County Deputy District Attorney Jenn Schorn said.
Romig is married and a father of three.
Authorities say Romig and the girl had sex in his Richland Township home, a park, and in the alleged victim's house in Perkasie.
In court documents, detectives say the two exchanged sexual videos of each other on their cell phones.
The 36-year-old was a contract employee for Pennridge High School and coached the junior varsity team, along with a traveling team called the Sellersville Belles.
Heckler says while one student has come forward, there is concern over more potential victims.
"It is possible Romig victimized others under his care and direction at some point in the past," Heckler said.
The district attorney says investigators are trying to learn more about where he's coached.
"There are apparently some reference in his conversations with our primary victim to another young woman," Heckler said.
If found guilty, Romig faces 38 years in prison.
Anyone with information should contact Bucks County detectives at 215-348-6354.
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, sex assault, students, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 18 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 31 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 16 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 29 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 55 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
18 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
31 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
12 min ago