Soldier dies trying to save daughters in fire
HOPE MILLS, NC - March 6, 2012 -- A U.S. Army soldier and his two daughters died in a house fire Tuesday morning. Officials said the man went back into the home to try to save his children.
It happened shortly before 2 a.m. at 4151 Pecan Drive just outside Hope Mills.
Cumberland County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Debbie Tanna said that when deputies arrived, they found the soldier's wife outside the home. The woman and her husband had escaped the flames by jumping from a second-floor window.
"She told us her husband had gone back inside to get their two daughters," said Tanna. "He never made it back out."
Tanna identified the dead soldier as 36-year old Edward Duane Cantrell. His daughters were 6-year-old Isabella and 4-year-old Natalia.
Cantrell was a member of the 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg. He recently returned from a mission in Afghanistan.
Cantrell's wife was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Tanna said it was too early to speculate on the cause of the fire, but foul play was not suspected. She said it was an older home, which may have contributed to the speed of the fire.
"Different types of wood that probably dried out considerably over the years, so it did go up quite fast," she said.
Tanna said the blaze was so hot that firefighters were still putting water on spots around 6:30 a.m.
north carolina, fire, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 23 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
50 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos