Mr. Food: Hot Cross Buns
DATELINE (WPVI) -- Hot Cross Buns are one sweet Easter tradition. Our easy recipe for baking your own bakery-style Cranberry Hot Cross Buns is a twist on the traditional raisin variety, and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Cooking Time: 20 min
18 frozen dinner roll dough balls, thawed but still cold (see Notes)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut dinner roll dough balls in half. Press 1-1/2 pieces together and form a flat circle, about 2 inches wide. Place a heaping teaspoon of cranberries in center of dough circle; bring edges together and pinch tightly to close. Shape into a round roll and place on baking sheet; repeat with remaining roll dough.
3. Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Remove wrap from rolls and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden; let cool.
5. In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients until smooth. Spoon into a small resealable plastic storage bag. Cut a small corner off bag and make a cross with glaze on each bun. Let glaze harden then serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
Makes 1 dozen buns.
*If you cannot find this dough in your supermarket freezer case, you can use 2 (1-pound) packages frozen bread dough; just thaw and cut it into 9 pieces each.
mr. food, food, holidays, easter, action news
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 2 min ago
- Windy and cold today 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 6 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 34 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 49 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 2 min ago
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 44 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
44 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
49 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
34 min ago