Mrs. Fixit: Prepping Holiday Tableware
December 24,2011 (WPVI) -- The holidays are a great time to pull out and use your pretty dishes, serveware and linens. I have some tips to make sure those items look their best for the big day.
If you put your candlesticks away with waxy drips on them the last time you used them, I have a quick and easy fix. Pull on some gloves and run some very water in your sink.
Hold the candle holder under the water to soften the wax. Have some paper towels on hand to wipe away the wax as it softens.
Stemware can get rusty and cloudy in storage. To quickly clean them, fill your sink with soapy water and add two cups of white vinegar per gallon to the sink.
Carefully place the stemware in the solution and let them soak for an hour or so. The mild acid in the vinegar will remove dust and residue. Then just wash and let air dry for a sparkling shine!
Tarnish on silver can be cleaned off with a variation on my favorite copper cleaner. Cut a fresh lemon in half and then dip it in baking soda.
Use the lemon as your scrubber to clean the piece. The citric acid in the lemon juice will cut through the tarnish and the baking soda acts as a mild buffer and polisher. When the tarnish is gone, wash the piece and dry it with a soft cloth.
When you're pressing your linens, use some spray starch. It will give the linens a lovely crisp appearance and it adds a light protective coating on those linens which will make stain removal easier after the meal is over.
I hope your holidays are picture perfect! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, action news
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 10 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 33 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
33 min ago