Mr. Food: Country Store Hermit Bars
February 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chewy, sweet, and wholesome, our homemade Country Store Hermit Bars make for a super-satisfying snack.
Packing the old-time taste of a "Mom and Pop" country store, they bake up in a snap without leaving home.
Makes: 24 bars
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in eggs.
On low speed, beat in water, then baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Gradually mix in flour, about a third at a time. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place batter in prepared baking sheet.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut into bars.
For options? Feel free to add in some some chopped dates or cherries in place of the raisins or dried cranberries.
And how about a nice, cold glass of lemonade to wash down our cookies?
mr. food, food, mr. food
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos