Breaking the law by walking your dog
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - April 13, 2009 -- Hundreds of people walk their dogs in Rhode Island's capital city every day.
But many are breaking the law.
Since 1914, there's been a ban on pooches in Providence parks.
Now, local officials say it may be time to put a muzzle on the doggie prohibition.
The ordinance in question also bars cats, fowl, goats, swine and cattle from the parks.
Parks Department Superintendent Robert McMahon adds they now see dog walking as a legitimate recreational activity.
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids