Indicted Fla. lawyer had 20 million reward points
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - January 12, 2010 -- A Florida lawyer charged in a $1.2 billion fraud apparently heeded the American Express slogan "Don't leave home without it."
Court records show Scott Rothstein racked up more than 20 million reward points on his American Express account. Cardholders typically receive one point for every dollar spent.
Federal authorities want to use the rewards to pay back victims of Rothstein's alleged Ponzi scheme.
The once-prominent attorney agreed last week to enter a guilty plea later this month. A grand jury indicted him on five counts of racketeering, conspiracy and fraud for allegedly bilking thousands of investors from 2005 to 2009.
Prosecutors say investors paid in exchange for the promise of returns from legal settlements that turned out to be bogus.
money, ponzi scheme, bizarre bazaar
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 44 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 21 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
47 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos