Indicted Fla. lawyer had 20 million reward points
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - January 12, 2010 -- A Florida lawyer charged in a $1.2 billion fraud apparently heeded the American Express slogan "Don't leave home without it."
Court records show Scott Rothstein racked up more than 20 million reward points on his American Express account. Cardholders typically receive one point for every dollar spent.
Federal authorities want to use the rewards to pay back victims of Rothstein's alleged Ponzi scheme.
The once-prominent attorney agreed last week to enter a guilty plea later this month. A grand jury indicted him on five counts of racketeering, conspiracy and fraud for allegedly bilking thousands of investors from 2005 to 2009.
Prosecutors say investors paid in exchange for the promise of returns from legal settlements that turned out to be bogus.
money, ponzi scheme, bizarre bazaar
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
21 min ago