Doctors leave foot-long instrument in patient
PRAGUE (AP) - February 16, 2010 -- It took five long months for a Czech woman to discover the reason for her pain: Doctors had left a foot-long medical tool inside her abdomen.
This month, doctors at a clinic in the southeastern town of Ivancice discovered their colleagues had forgotten to remove a spatula-like surgical instrument from the woman following gynecological surgery in September.
Top regional official Michal Hasek apologized Zdenka Kopeckova, 66, and said Monday that the region, which is in charge of the clinic, plans to compensate her.
Clinic head Jaromir Hrubes blamed "a series of individual failures" and said four employees had been punished.
CT24 news television reported that the woman, who complained repeatedly to her doctors about the pain, plans to sue.
healthcare, hospitals, medical mistakes, bizarre bazaar
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 8 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 45 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 11 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
11 min ago