Doctors leave foot-long instrument in patient
PRAGUE (AP) - February 16, 2010 -- It took five long months for a Czech woman to discover the reason for her pain: Doctors had left a foot-long medical tool inside her abdomen.
This month, doctors at a clinic in the southeastern town of Ivancice discovered their colleagues had forgotten to remove a spatula-like surgical instrument from the woman following gynecological surgery in September.
Top regional official Michal Hasek apologized Zdenka Kopeckova, 66, and said Monday that the region, which is in charge of the clinic, plans to compensate her.
Clinic head Jaromir Hrubes blamed "a series of individual failures" and said four employees had been punished.
CT24 news television reported that the woman, who complained repeatedly to her doctors about the pain, plans to sue.
healthcare, hospitals, medical mistakes, bizarre bazaar
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Record Warmth! 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing 19 min ago
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Record Warmth!
59 min ago