Making an exception for St. Patty's Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - March 9, 2010 -- It might not seem like St. Patrick's Day to some without a stogie.
So, a Washington councilman is pushing for an exemption to the smoking ban in the nation's capital.
Councilman Jack Evans' proposal would allow cigar lovers to light up at the Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.
Smoking would also be permitted at another event, the Fight for Children boxing fundraiser.
The council has passed a one-year waiver.
Evans wants the council to make the exception permanent.
But officials of Smokefree DC are urging the mayor to veto the bill.
washington, d.c., holidays, st. patrick's day, smoking, bizarre bazaar
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays 20 min ago
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally 42 min ago
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
5 min ago