Balloon boy parents get balloon back
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) - May 17, 2010 -- The parents of "Balloon Boy" have been reunited with their balloon.
The Larimer County Sheriff's office returned the balloon to Richard Heene and his wife Mayumi.
The sheriff's office says the dad asked to measure to balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched last October.
After the launch, the family told authorities their 6-year-old son was in the balloon.
Turns out he wasn't - but not before TV viewers nationwide were sucked into the story.
Dad has completed a 90-day jail sentence for his plea of falsely influencing authorities.
His wife was sentenced to 10 weekends working at nonprofits for filing a false report.
The family has agreed to pay $36,000 in restitution to agencies that responded to the hoax.
colorado, balloon boy case, bizarre bazaar
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ