Balloon boy parents get balloon back
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) - May 17, 2010 -- The parents of "Balloon Boy" have been reunited with their balloon.
The Larimer County Sheriff's office returned the balloon to Richard Heene and his wife Mayumi.
The sheriff's office says the dad asked to measure to balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched last October.
After the launch, the family told authorities their 6-year-old son was in the balloon.
Turns out he wasn't - but not before TV viewers nationwide were sucked into the story.
Dad has completed a 90-day jail sentence for his plea of falsely influencing authorities.
His wife was sentenced to 10 weekends working at nonprofits for filing a false report.
The family has agreed to pay $36,000 in restitution to agencies that responded to the hoax.
colorado, balloon boy case, bizarre bazaar
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos